Is there a keyboard shortcut for deselecting selected text? Perhaps it also works for deselecting selected items (in Windows Explorer)?

The arrow keys work in some software, but sometimes they also move the text cursor one character left/right. This latter behavior happens when selecting text in Windows Explorer for example.

I would like to have a global shortcut with consistent behavior. Don't bother with AutoHotKey tomfoolery, though. If it isn't built in, then that's just the way it is! (A registry tweak to enable it would be OK, just no external software please.)

  • I don't know if there is a solution for this. I use a ton of shortcuts. F10 pulls focus off? – ejbytes Jun 29 '16 at 9:01
  • That's a useful one I didn't know! But it doesn't quite accomplish the intended operation. – Protector one Jun 29 '16 at 9:09
  • I was sure it didn't solve your problem or else I would have posted it as a solution. I'm not sure if there is a shortcut that exists for that. I think you will have to invent something or write a program. A way to deselect text is to just click anywhere else on the screen, that works too. I mean, even F5 refreshes the browser. Selecting text is done with a mouse isn't it? Just click off to the side somewhere. – ejbytes Jun 29 '16 at 9:11
  • @Juiced: Text editing apps: yes, but also browsers, for example. I don't understand what you mean with, "and then select the text, etc.". Select how, exactly? What keys should I use to (de)select the text, etc.? – Protector one Jun 29 '16 at 12:13
  • I think what Juice is talking about is the SHIFT key. If you, a person, click on some text and wish to deselect the text, or back your way out of it, hold the SHIFT key and LEFT-ARROW your way out of it. That's all I got. Good luck. – ejbytes Jun 29 '16 at 12:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.