I installed Windows 10 in virtualbox on my macbook and now speakers and mic are not working with win 10. My problem is mainly with speakers.
had a similar problem (audio cracking/not working); what worked for me (Xubuntu as Host, VirtualBox 5.2.14) I found on stackoverflow marked off-topic:
- VirtualBox - open the settings for your Windows 10 machine
- Go to Audio > Audio Controller, change to 'ALSA Audio Driver' and "ICH AC97" as Controller
- Boot your Windows 10 machine and disable driver signature enforcement
- Go to Realtek website, download and install the AC'97 audio codec/driver for Vista/7 ("Vista/Win7 (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)") onto your Windows 10 machine (run setup.exe)
- Reboot Windows 10
I got it to work by:
- Follow the answer by definitely undefinable
- Before rebooting, opening the windows device manager (
Win + R, enter
- Find the
Multimedia Audio Controllerin one of the categories. It should be displayed as missing a driver (yellow exclamation mark in the icon)
- Right-click on the listing and select
Update Driver Software...
Browse my computer for driver software
- Browse to the unzipped Realtek driver folder. Make sure
Include Subfoldersis checked. Press
Install this driver software anyway.
- Reboot the VM.
I furthermore had to change the Virtualbox settings back to
PulseAudio, as I am using this on my Ubuntu 18.04 setup.