I am unable to update my system environment variable PATH. I don't receive any error message when editing PATH, but the change doesn't take. I have Windows 10. I am an admin user. Here are the steps I take to edit PATH.
- I Search for and open "View advanced system settings".
- Click the "Environment Variables" button.
- Locate "Path" under the System variables section. Click to highlight it.
- Click "Edit". The "Edit environment variable" modal window pops up.
- There are lots of paths listed in the listbox. Click New to add a new item.
- A blank space for the new folder is highlighted in the listbox. Click Browse. Select a folder. Click OK. The browsed path is in the listbox.
- Click "OK" on the Edit environment variable modal.
- Close all existing
cmdwindows if any are open. Open a new cmd window.
- type echo %PATH%
I expect my added PATH to be shown, but it is not. If I repeat the steps above, my newly added folder is not in the listbox on the "Edit environment variable" model when I click to edit the PATH system environment variable the second time. I also expected Windows to prompt me for elevated admin privileges at some point when editing the environment variable, but this never happens. What am I doing wrong?