I host 2 databases on Azure SQL Server Db. Two very small 40Mb databases. Very limited access to them. If I look at my DTU, its like 0 peaking at 5%.
However when ever I open either of the databases in
SQL management studio 2016. (v13.0.15600.2) It is very / extreamly slow.
Let me elaborate.
- Connection To server is not to bad, (18 seconds)
- Expanding databases ( 10 seconds)
- Expanding Tables (60 tables) (15 seconds)
Now the worst part. If I edit a table in design view or Database Diagram.
If I click on the
Data Type on any column. Takes 30 - 60 seconds, I get not responding for half of that time. And it happens every time I left click or right on a row.
If I make changes to a table schema and have to save them. It can take very long as well. depending on the size of the table.
it is almost as if
SMS does some sort of network request that just takes really long on the azure db.
Just some more info.
- Azure Db is hosted in West Europe,
- I am based in South Africa,
- I have 20/20 Mbit/s fiber internet connection.
- Ping to West Europe is
209mson Azure Speed Test
- If I work on locally hosted Standard SQL server instances my speed is 100%
I have just got to the point where I cannot even work on the databases anymore. It is simply unusable.