This question already has an answer here:

So, I am planning on buying a new headset and the 3.5mm jack wire is both audio and microphone in one. I am unable to find out whether my case and/or motherboard supports this kind of wire.

Q1: What are these 'two-in-one audio/mic' 3.5mm jack cables called?

Q2: Which specification would I have to check (now, and in the future) to check for support?

marked as duplicate by Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007, DavidPostill, mdpc, Twisty Impersonator, Jakuje Aug 28 '16 at 8:34

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • If you only have one 3.5mm receptacle, it will support input and output. Otherwise you will have 2 which will be labeled. – Xavierjazz Aug 12 '16 at 16:03
  • @Xavierjazz They are labeled, pink and green one on motherboard, and symbols for mic and audio on front of case. Will not work? – nuriguw Aug 12 '16 at 16:07

A1. These connectors are called TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve), 4-pole jacks, or combo jacks. Their pinouts vary from maker to maker, but as I assume your future headphones to be generic, they should be compatible with common devices.

A2. You can check your motherboard's documentation. If you have audio jacks both for microphone and the headphones, the 4-pole plug is probably not supported. (The headphones would still work without the microphone.)

If there's only one jack, and it has a label depicting a pair of headphones with, well, a microphone, then the microphone will work.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.