I want to change the display from 32-bit color-depth to 16-bit. Changing the color depth in Windows XP was easy, but it appears that Microsoft removed the option or moved it to some hidden, advanced setting in Windows 7 and later. Does anyone know where this setting is?
@DavidPostill's answer is great. But, it may not work on VirtualBox. I'm posting this for those who came here, like I did, looking for an answer, but found that it didn't work in VirtualBox.
How to Change Color to 32-Bit in VirtualBox Windows 7 Guest OS:
- Select the Advanced Settings, as described by DavidPostill.
- Click on the Adapter tab.
- Click the List All Modes button, bottom left.
- This is the key: You must select one of the 32-bit modes to be able to do the next step.
- In my system, 1280 by 960, True Color (32-bit), 60 Hz is the best setting
- Select OK to close out of the List All Modes selection window
- Now, if you click into the monitor tab, you should see that "True Color (32-bit)" is already selected.
I hope this has been helpful.