Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Sporadically Spontaneously Reboots on Custom Built Machine
I will be working along and the computer goes through a spontaneous reboot. Usually the reboot is without warning, but sometime there are clues that is it coming like a frozen keyboard or the mouse not acting correctly.
What I have done...
- Verified operating system and all software is up to date. (The OS is regularly updated automatically.)
- Updated motherboard firmware.
- Ran Memtest86 over the weekend to test RAM without error.
- Ran Primes95 overnight to stress test the CPU. No problems.
- Swapped out drive. Same issue even with clean install of the operating system.
- The hardware has all been reseated.
- I did discover that the CPU was running hot (70℃) and increased the cooling. Manufactor specs say 61℃ tops.
- Tried. Tried to read various logs in the /var/log. (I you would like to see them, I will be glad to post recent one with crash and reboot times.
Tidbits that may be "red herring" or may be clues...
- My other Gnome Ubuntu machines (with different hardware specs) built with the same software profile are NOT having the same problem.
- The first time I saw these reboots, it was when I was using ScreenConnect with depends on Java
- Since then I have seen it happen when I am browsing using FireFox
- I have seen it occasionally when I am using LibreOffice
- The other night it rebooted itself when the only thing running was Backup
- After it goes through the crash and reboot cycle and logging back in, trying to use Super Key + "Type to search" to find an application is almost a guarantee to create another crash and reboot. It will usually crash and reboot when the second letter is typed.
- Sometime it will automatically reboot again during the reboot after the initial crash and reboot. The reason I know this is because I have to enter disk encryption password again.
- Sometime one of the monitors does not start after the reboot. If the computer is shutdown when this is happening, sometimes the monitor is not turned off either.
- After a cold start - where the machine has been shut off for the night - it will usually behave itself for a couple of hours.
- Frequency of crash is increasing.
Here are the hardware components...
- CORSAIR RM Series RM650 650W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
- ASUS M5A97 LE AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 6 X SATA 6
- G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GSR
- AMD FX-8370 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8370FRHKBOX Desktop Processor
- Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060010-WW)
- Cooler Master Rifle Bearing 80mm Silent Cooling Fan
- SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 1x nm Samsung Toggle DDR 2.0 3-Bit MLC NAND Flash Memory (400Mbps) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- AMD FirePro W4100 100-505817 2 GB 128-bit
- Cable Matters Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort to HDMI
- Dual ASUS PB287Q 4k UHD LED Monitor
- CODE 104-Key Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown
- Logitech Wireless Marathon Mouse M705
- Logitech T650 Rechargeable Touchpad with Windows 8 Multi-Touch Navigation
- Penguin USB Bluetooth 4.0 Micro Adapter
- Penguin Wireless N PCI Card v5
- Plantronics BT300 USB Bluetooth Adapter Dongle 85117-02 PL-BT300
- Plantronics Voyager HD Headset
Here is the software list...
- Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS
- Flash Player Browser Plugin
- IcedTea Plugin
- Java Run Time
- Mono - mono-complete
- Mount NFS Shares - nfs-kernel-server
- PDF Printer (with an adjust outputed folder and apt-armor)
- Wide Margins Bible
- Windows Manager - wmctrl
- FireFox Tweaks...
- AdBlock Plus
- Clean Links
- Cleanest Addon Manager
- Element Hiding Helper for AdBlock Plus
- FoxyProxy Standard
- ScrapBook X
- Self-Destructing Cookies
- Session Manager
- Snap Links Plus
Links I have read without finding the solution...
- How to diagnose a spontaneous reboot?
- LInux: How do I diagnose / isolate what's causing "random" hangs and spontaneous reboots?
- Computer sponteously reboots when doing heavy file copy to/from disk
Is there other testing or things to look narrow down the problem before just swapping out hardware? If there is not, what hardware would you recommend starting with?