I have a 1.5TB external drive (Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB 3.0) that's been encountering some issues with my new computer setup.
For several years, I had an ancient Dell laptop running 24/7 to serve files from this drive-- and it worked perfectly. I recently bought a new laptop for myself, so I bid farewell to the Dell and upgraded my server computer to a much quicker HP laptop (quad-core i7, 8GB, dedicated GPU, etc.) I plugged in the external HDD to the HP and set up a Plex server, some SMB shared folders, and an iTunes home sharing server that all direct to media on the drive.
The drive will work normally for a few hours, then ostensibly ejects and remounts itself. Upon doing this, Autoplay pops up and the drive will show up in Windows Explorer, but for all purposes is unusable:
Z:\Music is not accessible. The device is not ready.
I have restarted the computer many times, checked drivers, even changed the drive letters around (the drive's 2 partitions are now mounted as Z: and Y:). I've tried all 4 USB ports as well. The drive partitions are both NTFS and the disk is using a GPT partitioning scheme. I can't even safely remove the disk, as I get hit with this:
Windows is unable to stop the device 'USB Mass Storage Device'.
The only real differences between this computer and the Dell are the operating system and presence of a USB 3.0 chipset. The old computer ran Win7 Pro and connected to the drive via USB 2.0, and the new computer runs Win10 Enterprise (w/ Anniversary Update) and can utilize the USB 3.0 connection.
Plugging the drive into my newer laptop (Win10 but w/o the Anniversary Update), I encounter no problems and the drive reports a healthy status on both computers. I even backed up ~60GB to the drive without issue. A 128GB flash drive connected to the HP doesn't have any of these problems, so I think the ports are all fine.
It's quite annoying to have to unplug and reconnect the drive every few hours if I want to use it, which defeats the whole purpose of an always-on server. I suspect the OS or drivers, but any other suggestions are welcome. It seems others are having similar issues with this external drive in Win10, too: