Understand how the M.2 B+M Key SSD can work via PCIe Adapter Card with 2 slots (both 1 B and 1 M slot)?
We recently bought a Sandisk SSD X400 M.2 (B+M Key) to do some sample tests, see how it works and are having issues. Details below.
Read these articles around B/ M key SSDs & slots and Sandisk datasheets etc, but still not clear:
We have a PCIe card (driver less/ transparent) that has 2 slots that support the following:
- M key Slot - PCIe 3.0 x 4 (PCIe 2.0 Compatible)
- B key Slot - SATA (6gbps)
Dell Vostro 230 + Windows 8.1
- Intel Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 Ghz - Haswell 22nm
- Motherboard: 0T1D10
- BIOS: A06
- Date 8/19/2014 (Probably needs to be updated - will do anyways)
We put the X400 in the M - key slot and cannot see any storage or indication of its availability.
- Can it be used via a native M-key slot on a motherboard?
- Can it be used (even as storage) on the M-key of the PCIe card or only B-key via SATA?
(currently not trying to boot from it)
- Can it be used later to boot via PCIe card - M and/ or B keys?
(On another machine, assuming its BIOS supports booting from such)
PS: I'm thinking, even if BIOS support for PCIe booting is not there, shouldn't we be able to access the storage, atleast? Does it need special drivers in Win 8.1?