This question already has an answer here:

I have a ten year old internal hard disk from a now useless laptop. I want to find a case/converter to use it like an external USB drive. There are loads of these for desktop (2.5in) drives, but I can't seem to find any that appear to be compatible with my hard disk, which has an unusual connector:

enter image description here

enter image description here

It looks nothing like the types shown here.

So the question is: What is this connector called, and is it even possible to find a USB case for it?

marked as duplicate by JakeGould, Journeyman Geek Sep 20 '16 at 11:42

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    Originally from a HP laptop, if that helps. – kabZX Sep 20 '16 at 5:50
  • 5
    If I am not mistaking, that is just something that is plugged into the SATA port of the HDD, to allow easier insertion / removal from the laptop. Remove the metal frame from around the drive, and then grab that plastic connector and pull. I think it should pull right out reveling a SATA connector. – Matt Clark Sep 20 '16 at 5:52
  • Besides the advice by @MattClark, you also need to remove the caddy holding the HDD. "There are loads of these for desktop (2.5in) drives" -- Desktop drives are not 2.5", but are 3.5". Laptop drives are 2.5". – sawdust Sep 20 '16 at 6:00

Your drive has a common SATA interface. There are a lot of cases (drive enclosures) both on eBay and Amazon for SATA to USB.

From my experience, I would recommend buying SATA to USB 3.0 conversion case/enclosure otherwise you'll experience uncomfortably low read/write speeds.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.