I want to convert lower case text to uppercase text in Microsoft Word.

5 Answers 5


In Microsoft Office 2007 you can use the Change Case button on the Home tab.

Change case button

If that is not what you are looking for you will need to add more details to your question.

  • 13
    Or press Shift+F3.
    – Joey
    Feb 24, 2010 at 0:51
  • 2
    @Johannes Rössel Shift+F3 is a nice quick way to cycle through the casing options. Feb 24, 2010 at 1:37
  • 1
    Very odd having a button that changes the text mixed up with formating that just changes the look of the text. Feb 2, 2014 at 11:47

When you've had caps lock on by mistake, highlight the words you typed and press Shift+F3. Pressing Shift+F3 repeatedly swaps between upper case, title case and lower case.

eg. if you type:


... then select all the text and press Shift+F3:


... then press Shift+F3 again:


... and Shift+F3 again:

this is a test.

... and Shift+F3 one last time:

This is a test.

It's interesting that the behaviour is a little different if there is no full stop (period character) in the selected text. Shift+F3 then capitalizes every word when switching to title case:

This Is A Test

Hope this helps.


  • 1
    As for the funny difference with the trailing dot: when applying styles in Word, Word is also aware of what is selected. Things like bold and italic are preserved if less than 50% of the text is formatted in bold or italic. If 50% or more uses that formatting, then applying a new paragraph style removes that character formatting on the fly... (Nice answer; welcome at Super User!)
    – Arjan
    Feb 24, 2010 at 13:09
  • 1
    Pressing Shift+F3 toggles between capitalizing all the letters in the selected text and capitalizing only the first letter of each word. This happens whether the sentence ends in a full stop/period or not. [At least this is what I experienced when I tried it myself.]
    – Isxek
    Feb 24, 2010 at 13:38
  • 1
    Arjan, that's a funny thing about bold or italic, I hadn't noticed that! Thanks for your warm welcome, I've only been here a couple days so far. Feb 25, 2010 at 11:30
  • 1
    Is there a mac version? function/shift/command f3 all don't work.
    – MarcusJ
    May 23, 2014 at 6:59

Hold Shift when typing?

  • 7
    And it even works on websites...
    – sblair
    Feb 23, 2010 at 23:51
  • 2
    To the downvoter, this answer was written before the edit was done. Look at the revision history and get a sense of humor :)
    – MDMarra
    Feb 24, 2010 at 15:30
  • Cool answer, I did this way back when Sep 11, 2019 at 19:56

Shift+F3 does not work for some strings, like


If you highlight that then hit Shift+F3, nothing happens. You have to either use the Change Case button as shown above or add an extra word, like

95ad861b134e39cbd7ecd6c9070a58f4 test

Then Shift+F3 will cycle through the capitalization options.

If you have a few minutes, write "3D" into Word, highlight it, then hit Shift+F3 a few times. Why do you think this feature was implemented in this manner?

  • 1
    The only thing I know about 3D for the quoted printable characters is the =3D is the encoded form of '=', i.e. similar to &. But for those of us without Word could you let us know what it does do?
    – icc97
    Sep 11, 2014 at 12:11
  • 1
    Shift F3 simply change “3D” to “3d”. Nothing funny happens. I’m using Office 2013. Apr 3, 2018 at 19:15
  • 1
    @FranklinYu I'm sorry I should have been clearer. I found it weird that it would go from 3D to 3d but never 3d to 3D
    – Ed Norris
    May 2, 2018 at 19:37
  • 1
    Ok, that is indeed unexpected. Probably just a bug though. Not just 3D, but any single word starting with a number, like 42deadbeef. May 3, 2018 at 18:08

If you highlight that then hit Shift+F3, nothing happens. You have to either use the Change

Case button as shown above or add an extra word, like

Ctrl + Shift + A

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.