I'm writing a book in which the characters use a lot of slang. Microsoft Word keeps on marking grammar and spelling mistakes in dialogue, and it's getting kind of annoying. I do, however, want to see spelling and grammar corrections for normal text (not within quotes). How do I tell Microsoft Word to ignore spelling and grammar within quotation marks?
This is pretty simple to do by marking all such text as "Do not check spelling or grammar" :
- Type Ctrl+H
- In the dialog, ensure that the cursor is in the Find what field
- Click the More>> button
- Click Use wildcards
- Enter in the field
"*"(ensure that the quotes are the same as used in the text)
- Click inside the Replace with field
- Click the Format drop-down list and choose Language...
- Click on Do not check spelling or grammar
- Click on Replace All (if 0 changes are reported - check your quotes)
- Done. Click Cancel.
For the changes to be visible, recheck grammar or simply close and re-open the document. Also, take a backup of the document before starting, and afterward check the text following the last quote, in case you had an unpaired quote floating around.