A short while ago I decided to resize my EFI partition. Don't ask why... Ever since, I can no longer boot normally. To resize I used gparted, and changed to partition size to 268MB. After being unable to boot I changed it back to the original 512MB without success. I am now booting my system through Super Grub Disk.
I have 2 disks in my system. 1 main GTP disk (kingston), and one with MBR (WD) just for data. Ignore the MBR one. You will also see a Transcend USB stick holding the Super Grub Disk.
My current layout for the main disk is as follows:
sudo gdisk /dev/sda GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.1 Partition table scan: MBR: protective BSD: not present APM: not present GPT: present Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT. Disk /dev/sda: 234441648 sectors, 111.8 GiB Logical sector size: 512 bytes Disk identifier (GUID): EA79EA21-C913-462F-9A23-9CD5D1E74496 Partition table holds up to 128 entries First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 234441614 Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries Total free space is 2925 sectors (1.4 MiB) Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name 1 2048 1050623 512.0 MiB EF00 EFI System Partition 2 1050624 1550335 244.0 MiB 8300 3 1550336 234440703 111.1 GiB 8E00
So I clearly have the ESP on /dev/sda. This is the output of parted. To give you some info on the partition details:
(parted) print \Model: ATA KINGSTON SH103S3 (scsi) Disk /dev/sda: 120GB Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B Partition Table: gpt Disk Flags: Number Start End Size File system Name Flags 1 1049kB 538MB 537MB fat32 EFI System Partition boot, hidden, esp 2 538MB 794MB 256MB ext2 3 794MB 120GB 119GB lvm
Based on the fact the tag "UEFI" is not present for the kingston disk I think Asus did not detect this disk as GPT/EFI. Certainly since it is present for my SuperGrubDisk flash drive (which is also GPT with an ESP).
When trying to boot from the disk anyway Im presented with a black screen. That makes me assume its trying to boot from the MBR, which has nothing useful in it.
I already flashed the last version of the firmware in the hopes of solving this. My last resort is backing up data and doing a full reinstall, but I want to try to solve this the right way first.