I was trying to change the size of my bootcamp partition. Here's what happened (mistakes were made):
- Shrunk the size of Mac HD in disk utility from 370G to 300G, this created unformatted free space of 70G.
- In Paragon Hard Disk Manager, expanded the Bootcamp partition into the free space, expanded from 130G to 200G.
- Mac OS Sierra still working fine, Win7 shows in available disks from option-boot but boots to Windows Boot Loader screen that says can't find Win7.
- In Paragon Hard Disk Manager, repaired the partition boot record of Win7 partition. Windows now boots again fine. Should've stopped here.
- In Paragon HDM, I think I selected repair master boot record of the HD. This immediately changed all HFS+ partitions to one big free space, including EFI and Recovery partition. Can't be undone but I'm still running in OS X. I have a time machine backup from 2 days ago. Not too worried yet.
- Made TestDisk USB. Made Paragon Recovery Kit USB. Saved an image of the newly-resized non-working Windows partition to an external HD from Paragon HDM.
- Reboot. Back to Windows Boot Loader error screen. Option-reboot. Mac HD not showing in list, only Windows partition, which boots to error screen.
- Tried every partition-repair and boot record repair available on the USBs. Was able to undelete partitions and recover the Mac free space as one 300G HFS+ partition that I could boot into only on an option-boot, but lost the EFI and Recovery partitions. Hard Disk Manager shows a 209M free space at the beginning of the drive that is the lost EFI partition but when I try to recover the partition, it says there is not enough free space.
- Tried everything twice and the USBs again and probably make things worse.
- Hit breaking point and make Sierra USB. Wiped HD from disk utility and reinstalled Sierra, now I have working EFI & Recovery partitions again. Used migration assistant to bring OS X back up to current with working EFI and Recovery partitions.
That's where I'm at now. Diskutil list from recovery boot shows:diskutil list from Recovery
Now then... What is going on with all the disks? Why is HD on a virtual disk? Is it possible to restore a working Windows 7 from my backup? If not, how do I install Win7 in Sierra now that bootcamp assistant doesn't support it?