This is about Mac VLC, I'm using version 2.2.4 Weatherwax (Intel 64bit), running OSX Mavericks on a 2011 iMac.
I regularly watch series' of videos in VLC, particularly tutorials that often have 50 to 100 or more total videos, each being fairly short. In the past I've had no issues starting at the first video and playing through, since they default to opening in filename order which in my case are always prepended with a numeric sequence like:
01. video1.mp4 02. video2.mp4 etc.
All of a sudden today however, videos are jumping around randomly every time each one ends (or I skip to the next). I can identify no pattern, it's just all over the place. In troubleshooting this, I discovered that there is a preference "Play files randomly forever" which for some strange reason is always enabled every time the program is launched. I have disabled this but it made no difference.
I've tried everything I could think of and find online to address this, including:
- Deleting the VLC config prefs file
- Clicking the "Title" header of the playlist window to sort in Title order
- Using the Advanced Open dialog to manually add a folder full of files
- Right clicking the list of files in VLC to sort
- Drag & Drop into VLC from Finder
- Selecting various View menu options for sorting by other criteria
- Other stuff I can't even remember at the moment
Regardless of how I have the files sorted visually in VLC, they will never play in the order displayed on screen. It's driving me nuts and I can't seem to make any headway in solving it, so I'm hopeful someone here can suggest something I haven't already explored from other questions or internet posts.