the shift key in my keyboard has stopped working.(mechanical problem)
so, is there a way so that I can make windows think like (caps-button) is new shift button.
I'll buy a new keyboard ASAP but I need to do some urgent work that's why.


You can use SharpKeys to do this on Windows. Remapping Caps Lock to Shift is even one of the examples.


Props to Darth Android for the quick and simple (and correct for your situation) solution, but for completeness sake, you can also modify the registry to include a scancode map.

Basically you'll add a Scan Code binary key to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout

Format for it is:

00000000 -Header (all zeros)
00000000 -more all zeros
0x000000 -Where x is the number of changes +1
xxxxyyyy -Where x is the scan code, and y is the key your remapping it to.
00000000 -Null entry to show the end

So for instance:

"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,A0,00,5B,00,00,00,00,00

Would change your left shift (00A0) to map to your left windows key (005B)

There's a much deeper, in depth article on Experts Exchange if you need to go down that route for a more permanent-ish change, but I wanted to give the other option. Still... go with Darth Android's solution for your quick fix. :)

  • 1
    This actually is what SharpKeys does, IIRC. It's just a fancy GUI over building the scancode map for you and updating the registry! One of the reasons I like it so much. :) – Darth Android Dec 2 '16 at 17:18
  • Nice. I may start using it myself then instead of my usual "Do I really want to have to look up the scan code and edit the registry or just ignore it?" internal monologue. :) – Christian H Dec 2 '16 at 17:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.