In Windows 10, the keyboard shortcut Win+Shift+ maximizes the active window vertically, that is, resizes the window such that the top and bottom edges of the window align with the top and bottom edges of the monitor where the window is located.

Is there a keyboard shortcut which similarly maximizes the active window horizontally (only)?

If not, is there any other easier way to accomplish this task than manually left-click-dragging the left and right edges of the active window to the edges of the current monitor?

  • 2
    I edited your question referencing Ctrl+Win+Up to correct Win+Shift+Up. But I don't think there is similar keyboard shortcut for horizontal stretch. – Gordon Bell Apr 5 '17 at 21:21
  • 2
    Thank you for teaching me about the vertical maximization shortcut. I'd been wanting to use it for a long time. It's some effort to hunt down a few pixels to doubleclick. – Steven Lu Nov 28 '17 at 2:07

As you can see in the Microsoft Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts cheat-sheet, maximizing the Windows horizontally is not a thing.

You can maximize it to the whole screen or vertically.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.