I have found some similar questions but they have not helped me thus far.
The problem I have is that I have 8gb ram (2x4gb modules) and about two thirds of the time only the 4gb are usalbe, and on one third I have 8gb usable.
My question is where is the problem originating from because I was considering buying 2x8gb memory, but not knowing what the issue is I might have the same/similar problem again.
So I am looking at either fixing the issue or ruling out some cases so I can decide to spend the money to get new memory.
- AMD Core 8 (FX-8150) 3.6GHz Processor 8MB
- Corsair 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Vengeance Blue "LOW PROFILE" CL9 1.5V
- Asus M5A99X EVO 990X Socket AM3+ 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Things I tried but have not made a consistent difference
- Moved the two modules from one band to the other one (from the two blue slots to the two black slots in the motherboard)
- Ticked / unticked the msconfig use maximum memory setting
It seems that because this is a new account I can only have one screenshot, so I include what speccy shows when only half the memory is usable.
4gb usable out of 8gb installed
The 'system' in control panel reports:
- 8.00 gb (3.95 GB usable)
- 64-bit Operating System