I use Paste Special (Paste Link) when I am repeating text in Excel 2010, but I can't find a similar function in Word.

I need to be able to paste text in several areas of a document, and then update it once and have the update appear throughout the document. Excel allows me to do that with Paste Special.

What is the function in Word 2010? Quick Parts allows me to save blocks of text, but I can't change the text, so that doesn't really help me.

2 Answers 2


You can do this by using Bookmarks.

To create a bookmark;

  1. Highlight the word you want to repeat.
  2. Click Insert, Links, Bookmark.
  3. In the Bookmark window, name it as you wish, then click Add.
  4. Click OK.

To use the bookmark to repeat the word;

  1. Place your cursor where you want the word repeated.
  2. Click Insert, Links, Cross-reference.
  3. In the Cross-reference window select Bookmark for the reference type.
  4. Select the bookmark for the word you want to reuse.
  5. Click Insert.

To change the word, update the bookmark, select all text and press F9 to update all the cross-references.


Check out this video, it's got the best solution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwPQg6sQ9jo

  • Welcome to Super User. Please quote the essential parts of the answer from the reference link(s), as the answer can become invalid if the linked page(s) change.
    – DavidPostill
    Apr 6, 2022 at 7:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .