A friend handed me an Acer Aspire one D270 running windows 7 which boots as normal and I assume logs in since there was no password, but then displays a black screen with the cursor.
- I cannot do a system restore as there is no restore point.
- Both the normal boot and safemode display a black screen with a cursor
- From this state, I cannot directly open the command line or the task manager using the shortcuts
I managed to get to the recovery options by hitting F8 on boot, and I managed to access cmd from here. Running task manager shows explorer.exe is not among the running processes, which I assume is problem. A long hunt led me to try changing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon shell value to explorer.exe(I found it had been changed to cmd.exe /k start cmd.exe), then restating for it to take effect. It however for some reason keeps changing back every time I restart.
I then did a malware and virus scan with VIPRERESCUE, found a few Trojans which were removed, then tried changing the Shell value again, and it still doesn't get applied.
- Attempting to run Explorer via the taskmanager says Widows can't find explorer.
- Using notepad->file->open to access explorer and try running it from windows/explorer.exe says explorerframe.dll is missing.
- Replacing the .dll file still doesn't help.
- I can't run the sfc scan because it says Windows is in recovery mode.
I really need some help guys. Thanks in advance.