I recently started using Firefox as my primary web browser, and I would like to change some of the default keyboard shortcuts, especially the ones used to switch between tabs. Can this be done?

I took a peek through the Firefox directory in "Application Support", as well as the application bundle itself, but nothing jumped out. Google searches have also proved fruitless.

Update: I'm running Firefox version 3.6 for Mac OSX 10.6.2

1 Answer 1


Maybe you can use keyconfig extension for that?

At this link some people say they got it to work on Firefox 3:

@ M.C yes it is !!! (compatible with Firefox 3.6) you have to extract the file "install.rdf" from "functions_for_keyconfig-1.4.0.xpi" with a deziper prog like "WinZip" in Windows or "file roller" in Linux.

Edit "install.rdf" and search for this line: "3.5.". Then replace with "3.6.".

In "functions_for_keyconfig-1.4.0.xpi" replace file "install.rdf" with the modified one. Save. Open your Firefox 3.6, drag and drop the file "functions_for_keyconfig-1.4.0.xpi" in Firefox windows. That's it.

  • +1 and thank you for the link, but that add-on appears to be only for older versions of Firefox. I'm using version 3.6. I'll add that information to my question.
    – e.James
    Mar 6, 2010 at 2:01
  • Key examples: mozilla.dorando.at/keyconfig/examples.html
    – e.James
    Mar 6, 2010 at 2:52
  • 1
    For anyone else who goes down this path: Once you've installed the add-on, it places a new menu item called "Keyconfig" in the "Tools" menu. The menu item brings up a window which can be used to assign snippets of JavaScript to individual keystrokes. My previous link goes to some example snippets.
    – e.James
    Mar 6, 2010 at 2:54
  • Happy it worked for you. Too bad you have to go through a lot of hoops. Hopefully somebody else knows of a better solution, but for right now problem solved I guess :)
    – Alfred
    Mar 6, 2010 at 3:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.