I've been digging around YouTube and Google in general for reasons why my macbook isn't able to get into contact with my Windows server.
At the moment my server is running a basic DNS and DHCP server role.
My Macbook, my girlfriends Windows laptop and my Windows gaming computer are recieving IP configurations from the DHCP server with no problem at all.
Where the bad part started is when I configured the DNS role on my server. To test my configuration, I created a record which pointed "printer" to an IP address. (It doesn't matter if it's there or not because I don't even own a network printer)
Point is, I pinged this "printer" on the Windows laptop and it worked perfectly. Asside from the fact that it isn't there, the console acknowledged the printer being bound to an IP address I specified on my server.
This however didn't work on my macbook. So I checked out the DNS servers in my network settings. As soon as I removed the 192.168.1.1 entry and only left in 192.168.1.100 (my server), I couldn't navigate to any webpage and so proved that my macbook once again wasn't able to make use of the DNS services of my server.
Thinking of the most basic way to test all my devices and if they were able to reach each other, I performed these ping tests:
- [X] Macbook pings Windows server
- [X] Windows server pings macbook
- [✓] Windows laptop pings Windows server
So basically, my macbook is the culprit and I should move my focus to this machine instead of planting my foot into the casing of my Windows server, right?
- I am running macOS Sierra on a late 2013 Retina Macbook Pro
- My girlfriends laptop has Windows 8.1 installed
- and my gaming rig is running Windows 10
Also, here is the output of my console:
Creedence:etc ackoujens$ ping 192.168.1.100 PING 192.168.1.100 (192.168.1.100): 56 data bytes Request timeout for icmp_seq 0 Request timeout for icmp_seq 1 Request timeout for icmp_seq 2 Request timeout for icmp_seq 3 Request timeout for icmp_seq 4 Request timeout for icmp_seq 5
- all my devices exist under the same subnet
- all my devices are directly connected to my ISP's modem
- laptops by WiFi
- gaming rig by ethernet cable
- local IP's set up in 192.168.1.x format
- DHCP leases IP's starting from 192.168.1.200 -> 192.168.1.250
- I installed a fresh version of Windows Server only a few days ago, this is not a server that has been running and tinkered on for a long time
- I tried turning off the firewall of my server completely, also on the mac
- The macbook is able to ping www.google.com
- The macbook is able to ping my router at 192.168.1.1
- The macbook is able to ping the Windows laptop at 192.168.1.203
- Windows laptop is able to ping the macbook at 192.168.1.200
If you have to know how to solve this issue or any other suggestions for possible tests, please share them below.