i recently merged my hard disk partitions f into c using a partition manager, i didnt need data in f but unfortunately i forgot to backup some important office docs in that partition.

manager formated f and merged the space into c.

is it possible for me to recover from a deleted partition, how will i do that thanks

  • 1
    Make a complete backup image of the whole disk immediately before you do anything that modifies the contents of the disk! If you try something and it fails, you can "reset" from the backup image and try something else. – Ryan C. Thompson May 18 '11 at 5:00

The files are still there and may be recoverable. Below are listed some utilities to recover files. Just remember when recuperating the files to copy them to another drive than the formatted one, since this will destroy the data. Don't write on the hard disk untill you recover the data.

PC INSPECTOR File Recovery 4

  • Finds partitions automatically, even if the boot sector or FAT has been erased or damaged
  • Recovers files with the original time and date stamp


Recovery from damaged or formatted disks
Even if you've formatted a drive so that it looks blank, Recuva can still find your files on it.


DiskDigger can even scan reformatted or badly formatted disks (disks to which Windows can’t assign a drive letter), and even disks with bad sectors. It bypasses the Windows file system drivers and scans your disk directly.

| improve this answer | |
  • is there an option that will recreate f? – anique Mar 11 '10 at 7:38
  • @anique: You "may" be able to return to the previous situation, on condition that f was never overwritten. You'll need to reset c to its EXACT previous size and then recreate the f partition (without reformatting). The chances are slim, but it's possible in theory. – harrymc Mar 11 '10 at 8:28

R-Tools Just a happy customer.

| improve this answer | |