I am running a Windows Server guest on a Windows host, using Virtualbox. Up until very recently this guest could browse the internet perfectly fine. However, since today, the guest can only access the internet for a minute or so after switching to Bridged Adapter as "Attached to" under Network settings for the machine. After that, the connection just drops and the guest can no longer access anything.
To my knowledge, I did not change anything in the Virtualbox settings previous to this as I've been happy with the way things have worked (and I'm not very familiar with this stuff either). As stated below, I updated my Virtualbox version in an attempt to solve this, but it didn't work. The previous version I had (I'm unfortunately not sure which one) I used for a long time before these problems started to occur.
- Host: Windows 8.1 Enterprise
- Guest: Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
- Virtualbox: 5.1.18. r114002
- Host uses Wi-Fi for internet access
- Guest is configured to use Bridged Adapter (under Network --> Attached to), with the name Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
I have ran ipconfig /all on the guest, and compared the results from when the guest could access the internet and when it couldn't. Here's the diff for Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
Working Not working IPv4 Address 10.0.2.15(Preferred) Does not exist Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 255.255.0.0 Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address Does not exist 169.254.68.254(Tentative/Preferred) Lease Obtained March 17th 2017 12:37:41 Does not exist Lease Expires March 17th 2017 12:37:41 Does not exist Default Gateway 10.0.2.2 No value DNS Servers 184.108.40.206 fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 220.127.116.11 fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1 18.104.22.168 fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
At the moment I can't ping (pinging e.g. 22.214.171.124 results in "PING: transmit failed. General failure"). However, when I was trying to solve the issue earlier today I was able to ping DNS servers such as 126.96.36.199. I could not ping web servers though.
Access to the internet using Wi-Fi on the host works perfectly.
Google Chrome reports an DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET on the guest.
- Upgrading to the latest Virtualbox version
- Changing to all the other possible options under "Attached to", but Bridged Adapter is currently the only one that gives me at least a little access. I'm quite sure I've used NAT successfully before, though.
- In Virtualbox-wide settings, under Network, I added a NAT network and used that as "Attached to" for the guest, both with and without DHCP enabled.
- In Virtualbox-wide settings, I tried both Auto-detect and Direct Connection under Proxy.
- Tried with and without VPN on the host.
- Rebooted both the host and guest several times
- Added Google's DNS servers (188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206) (I didn't have to do this before this issue occurred, though) on the guest.
- Disabled and enabled the Ethernet adapter on the guest.
- Ran ipconfig/flushdns on the guest.
- Read questions here on SuperUser regarding this. I have not been able to find a duplicate where internet works a short period of time however, as they all seem to be dealing with no access at all.
- Why does internet access only work for a very short time on my guest?
- What do I need to change in order to get consistent access?
I'm not very good with this, please let me know if there's any other information or more configuration that I should provide.