In the Google Chrome Content settings there was "Key generation" option to generate keys in the web forms. See the screenshots from the question about Key generation. This is required by one Comodo SSL re-seller. Without it I can not generate my SSL certificates.

I am using Google Chrome versions 57.0.2987.98 and 57.0.2987.110 (64-bit). And the setting is now gone. When I try to issue the SSL, Comodo website shows "Sorry, an error has occurred" without any details.

How to get Key generation back to Google Chrome?

  • I am going to presume, that we are talking about the key generation element, and it was removed in Chrome 57. Having checked a copy of Chrome 56, i can confirm, it also did not have it. So outside of using a previous version of Chrome, contact your Comodo re-seller, and request an alternative method to generate your SSL certificates. My suggestion, find a different re-seller, one that doesn't use a defuct feature of Firefox and Chrome – Ramhound Mar 27 '17 at 17:46
  • Worth pointing out. The current version of Firefox does support it behind a user gesture. IE/Edge have never supported it. So another solution is to use a browser or a previous version of Chrome that supports it. – Ramhound Mar 27 '17 at 17:47
  • @Ramhound thanks for the info. And I can not change the re-seller because I have a couple SSL's there and I can generate new certs that are SHA-2 instead of SHA-1 for free, so currently trying with Firefox. – Maris B. Mar 28 '17 at 6:40

Key Generation was a part of the implementation of the < keygen > HTML element. This has been removed from the W3C spec and it was accordingly removed from Chrome/Chromium browsers.

If you want to see what support remains for < keygen > take a look at https://support.comodo.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/475/0/which-browser-can-i-use-to-signup-for-a-email-certificate


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.