On a Mac, what is the hotkey associated with this image?

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


Top (Gray) image is Tab

Bottom (Bold) image is Shift+Tab

Mac Keyboard Shortcuts

  • 8
    The pipe at the end is vital. -->| is "tab", but --> is just "right arrow".
    – Kroltan
    Mar 31, 2017 at 1:36
  • FYI… Unicode provides for RIGHT ARROW character (→) at code point 8,594 (hex: U+2192). Also, I noticed the Keyboard Viewer applet that Apple provides is Sierra uses a dotted-stem right arrow on the screen display of the keyboard, similar to Unicode RIGHTWARDS ARROW WITH DOTTED STEM (⤑) at code point 10,513 (hex U+2911). Mar 31, 2017 at 3:28
  • @BasilBourque I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with your FYI. The symbol for Tab (in all post-Unicode OS X's) is and has been U+21E5RIGHTWARDS ARROW TO BAR. The symbol's well-supported and is what is used in menubars to represent Tab. For what use are you suggesting U+2911 RIGHTWARDS ARROW WITH DOTTED STEM? It doesn't exist in standard fonts on most current OS's.
    – Trey
    Mar 31, 2017 at 19:21
  • @Kroltan Similarly unsure with what you're getting at. Visually, the line is "vital", but that's like saying a capital K's left line is "vital", as otherwise it's a less-than symbol <. It's true as far as it goes, and you could probably make a human-readable document replacing all your K's with |< (especially in a proportional font and/or using composing characters like this: <⃒) but, is it useful? You shouldn't simulate a Unicode glyph by deconstructing it into parts; just use the correct Unicode glyph in the first place, and in this case, that's U+21E5RIGHTWARDS ARROW TO BAR.
    – Trey
    Mar 31, 2017 at 19:37
  • Sorry for the distraction, I was thinking about people trying to display these symbols rather than interpreting them. Mar 31, 2017 at 21:07

As was already stated, it's the Tab key.

You can see all of the glyphs associated with keyboard keys using the Keyboard Viewer tool window.

(Note for PC keyboard users: Help button replaces Insert, Numpad + is split into two normal size keys, and Clear replaces Num Lock.)

Keyboard Viewer

  • Thanks!!! I am an avid user of hotkeys, and I know this will come in handy in the future!
    – Sethmr
    Mar 31, 2017 at 15:11
  • FWIW, this is not Mac-specific; it's been on most keyboards for decades Mar 31, 2017 at 16:36
  • @Sethmr It's not usually a hotkey. A hotkey is a key that triggers some system-wide action independent of the application you're currently using. Tab is just a normal control key, like Delete and Return, although Cmd-Tab is a hotkey for the application switcher.
    – Barmar
    Mar 31, 2017 at 18:35
  • When I said hotkey I was referring to the context of the application rather than what you are referring to. In my background I would refer to what you are mentioning as a macro. Either way, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will try to use the terminology correct in the future.
    – Sethmr
    Mar 31, 2017 at 18:37
  • @BoundaryImposition you mean the tab glyph is on most keyboards? For sure. The glyphs for command/control/option/clear/enter and fairly Mac specific though.
    – Coxy
    Apr 1, 2017 at 0:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.