- I'm using Excel to organize notes and keep inventory counts for items in our warehouse. We have location codes to help us find items in the warehouse in the format
[letter][number]-[number]. For example,
- I'm using Office 365 on the "slow insider build" Version 15.33 (170403) (but have been experiencing this issue for several months).
- On Mac OSX 10.12.5 Beta (16F43c)
- All of our location codes that begin with an A get converted to what appears to be a date in some foreign script in the sheet, and a date in the formula bar.
- This can be prevented when I'm manually putting location codes into the spreadsheet by prefacing the location code with a backtick, however I'm not sure how to prevent the conversion when importing a csv from our ERP system (other than using Google sheets instead of Excel)
- If I "format cells", it either turns into an (effectively, to me) random number or date, and I think I'm losing my original data
- If I copy and paste the cell outside of Excel, it turns into yet another format of a date
10/2/2016 in the formula bar, copies as
2-Oct and looks like this in the sheet
- How can I prevent this from happening on import?
- How can I reverse the conversion and get my original data back?