I have a bunch of mp3 files that have silence at the beginnings and ends, is there any program to trim this automatically? I would prefer that I can just give it a list of files to trim as opposed to having to do them individually.
In Audacity there's a Nyquist plugin called Trim Silence, download it here: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=59370
However, it can't be used for batch processing :-(
This effect requires Audacity 1.3.8 or later.
Although you cant batch process them you can import many files at once as if you are working on a multi track project, then process them with this plugin and finally re-export them as separate files.
To do this follow the following menu options after ensuring the Trim Silence plugin is installed properly. 1) File - Import - Audio (choose files to process) 2) Effect - Trim Silence (set options) 3) File - Export Multiple (choose options for saving files)
mpTrim seems to be just what you want:
What exactly can mpTrim do for you?
- mpTrim can trim MP3s - removing silent or unwanted parts.
- mpTrim can adjust the volume of MP3s. Volume change can be manual or automatic (volume normalization).
- mpTrim can fade-in/out MP3s (to fix abrupt beginning/ending).
- mpTrim can clean-up MP3s and recover wasted disk space.
- mpTrim keeps the music quality intact, no matter how many times you process an MP3, because it works directly in the MP3 format without having to decode/re-encode. That also makes it very fast.
mpTrim is free - no evaluation period or time limit. I'm just not sure about it having batch capabilities.