Most menus and context menus on my Windows 10 machine are mostly black until I hover my mouse-pointer over them to "reveal" the entries.
Here is a gif of how that looks:
Things I tried that did not help:
- Restart the computer. Menus look fine for a while after a restart, but the problem reappears. I did not have the patience to try and narrow this down to an application that might cause this.
- Install the latest Windows version: The problem appeared on the original Windows 10 build as well as the Anniversary Update and the Creator's Update.
- Install the latest graphics drivers
- Try another graphics card: The problem appeared both with the integrated Intel Graphics (Intel HD 4600) as well as a Radeon HD 5450
A workaround that did fix the problem:
- Go to System Properties > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Visual Effects
- Uncheck "Fade or slide menus into view" (or simply choose "Adjust for best performance" to uncheck everything)
- Click "Apply"
Menus are no longer black after doing this. But it still feels somewhat wrong - is there a better way?