I built my own desktop computer about a year and a half ago and it's been working fine. Recently I went out of town for about ten days and left my surge protector turned off. When I returned, the computer would no longer turn on. No fans start up, no lights come on, no POST, no beep codes, there's no indication that anything is happening. It seems really strange that it would just stop working completely while shut off.
I have tried a lot of troubleshooting and I'm just totally stuck. Here's what I've done:
- reseated all connections and cables
- tested the PSU using this guy: PSU is working
- tested CMOS battery: it is giving 3V
- unplugged all peripherals, devices and RAM, everything except for CPU and CPU fan: still nothing
- removed the power button headers on the case and manually shorted the pins to see if that cable was the problem: still nothing
- RMA'd the motherboard: still nothing
- RMA'd the CPU: still nothing
There's not even a light coming on on the motherboard to indicate that it's getting any power, but I'm not sure if the board has such a light anyway.
I am totally out of ideas. Having replaced the motherboard and CPU would seem to indicate that those aren't the problem. I wonder if perhaps the power isn't getting to the board somehow even though the PSU is working?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
In case it's relevant, here are the main hardware components:
- ASRock H170M Pro4 motherboard
- Intel Core i5-6500 CPU
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM
- no discrete GPU