This seems to be a common error, but none of the proposed solutions online worked.
The computer is an ASUS X556UB. The error is supposedly caused by Windows Update installing wrong drivers for the touchpad. I received the machine after the fact, I cannot see this driver in update history, so it could be that a lot of time passed since that.
The error symptoms:
- Touchpad does not work.
- Fn+F9 does not turn it on.
- Touchpad is not listed under Device Manager/Mice and other pointing device
- Something is listed under HID, called "I2C HID Device", and it has a little exclamation mark and an error message "A request for the HID descriptor failed".
The proposed solutions, that did not help, include:
- Installing the latest drivers linked from the product page
- ATK Package 1.0.0050
- Asus Smart Gesture / Touchpad Driver 4.0.12
- Installing the even latester drivers linked from a third-party page (the links still point to ASUS servers):
- ATK Package 1.0.0053
- Asus Smart Gesture / Touchpad Driver 4.0.18
What should I do to make my touchpad work again?