I have installed CentOS on the same disk before and booted with rEFInd no problem, but I didn't like CentOS too much since I couldn't easily port Ubuntu packages over and I wanted Ubuntu back, so I tried installing Ubuntu to replace CentOS, and this is my story.
I have been having a lot of trouble installing Ubuntu on my iMac. Apparently the kernel is working since rEFInd detects my Ubuntu installation, but when I go to boot I get this screen after a few seconds. Nothing does anything-- I've tried to just wait it out, since typing does nothing (doesn't even print anything on the screen), so I have no clue what to do here.
- iMac 21.5" 64 bit compatible
- Ubuntu x86_64 installation
- Ubuntu disk is separate from macOS disk
- rEFInd bootloader which works with every other OS (grub didn't work well with it, so I installed Ubuntu without a bootloader)
- Installed on USB external drive since INTERNAL SATA DRIVE IS BROKEN.
- Kernel detected, just leaves me at the black screen though.
- I have reinstalled several times and got the same result
- Typing does nothing
- Escape key does nothing
ALT -->(to switch tty) does nothing
- No LVM
- No full disk encryption
- Mount points for a future web server and backups so that if I reinstall Ubuntu I can leave the Apache installation and backups alone; these being
/var/www/mounted as a LOGICAL partition,
/backups/www-server/mounted as a LOGICAL partition, and finally
/etc/apache2/mounted as another LOGICAL partition.
- Installation root mounted as
/is a PRIMARY partition.
- No EFI partition
- No GRUB partition
- I honestly don't know what the partition map is, but I do know it is either GUID or Master Boot Record (MBR).
That's all the specs I can think of, tell me what you need to know if it isn't sufficient. Thank you for your time!