I need a stereo (6.33mm) to PC audio (3.5mm) adapter, and I'd like it to have an inch or two of cable so that yanking the connector doesn't break the audio port the 3.5mm is plugged into.

I used to own one of these, but I lost the adapter. Where can I buy something like this online? I can only find solid adapters or 25' cables.

closed as off topic by quack quixote, Joey, Nifle, ChrisF, Ivo Flipse Mar 26 '10 at 6:30

Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    this isn't a shopping site. asking what to buy for a certain purpose is one thing; asking where to buy is outside the scope of this site. – quack quixote Mar 25 '10 at 18:48
  • for historic reasons its a quarter inch cable, not a 6.3mm cable – Journeyman Geek Mar 25 '10 at 21:27
  • @quack quixote: It's only not a shopping site historically. The users define the site, and right now I think superuser is failing to pull critical mass. All PC questions are by their nature extraordinarily timely. Even changing the screen resolution isn't a solution that will last a year for a linux distribution, for example. It's wrong to close this topic, and you're actively hurting the site. I'll continue to use superuser as I please, and clearly the number of replies and votes agrees with my usage. – Stefan Kendall Mar 26 '10 at 20:22
  • PC tech does change often, yes. but if next year you search for how to change the screen resolution on ubuntu 9.04, and find an answer here posted last year, it will still be a useful answer. (it won't be valid for ubuntu 12.10, no.) that is not true for prices and may not be true for stores. that's the short version of this policy; if you'd like to discuss this further please post on meta.stackoverflow.com – quack quixote Mar 26 '10 at 20:39

You cannot go wrong with buying from Monoprice. Top notch quality and customer service every time I've used them. Some people think their cables roll out of the same factories as name brand minus the labels.

See this related question.

Specifically you would be interested in this cable (M/M) or this one (M/F) and this adapter.

alt text

alt text


Is something like this suitable for you?:

alt text

Or this may be the one you're looking for:

alt text

  • Even if that was 6.33mm to 3.5mm, it's a lot longer than I need. I should have mentioned that I also need female -> male. – Stefan Kendall Mar 25 '10 at 18:26
  • Please see my edit. – Mehper C. Palavuzlar Mar 25 '10 at 18:47
  • That's exactly what I need, but DAMN it's expensive for an adapter. – Stefan Kendall Mar 26 '10 at 20:20

Several devices/adapters here

Startech Adapters


Monoprice is always good, as user26453 mentioned. If you're looking for it right now (walk in and buy as opposed to shipping) RadioShack is usually good for all those little bobs and bits.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.