HP Scanners with Auto Document Feeders (ADF) offer "2-sided (book)" scanning and "2-sided (tablet)" scanning.

There is no documentation to explain the difference, and searching the internet comes up nil.

What is the difference?

1 Answer 1


I haven't heard the terminology "tablet" regarding scanning before, but I'm pretty sure it's referencing how the pages turn. Most scanners I've seen refer to it as "Long edge" or "Short edge", see this helpful diagram: Scanning diagram FAQ article from Brother website

Update 2021

Sharp says that Booklet is long-side, Tablet is short-side:
Booklet vs Tablet scanning diagram

  • okay.. so which is which??
    – vhflat
    Jan 7, 2021 at 17:02
  • 1
    @vhflat Updated answer to show which is which.
    – Ian
    Jan 8, 2021 at 1:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.