A user of mine had this problem recently, what happened is that when opening documents in Word 2013, the document would crash Word. Word 2016 would only show placeholder images and sometimes crash. Never got to try 365.
Unzipping the docx-file and rummaging around in the xml-files within I saw that some images was linked to websites that were since long gone. As soon as one scrolled to one such image, a placeholder would be shown or with older Word it crashed.
For instance, in the file
word\document.xml there is something called
<a:blip r:embed="rId22" r:link="rId23">.
The r:link is defined in
word\_rels\document.xml.rels. In my example it looked like this:
<Relationship Id="rId23" Type="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships/image" Target="http://servername.se/images/series1/image.gif" TargetMode="External"/>
So, with this information, one can either try to fix the document or delet
What I did however, is make a powershell script that simply removes the r:link="rIdXX" altogether. The best thing is that the images are still stored inside the docx-file so once I did this, the document was restored to its original state with all images working and Word 2013 stopped crashing.
I had placeholder images in a lot of older docx documents, unzipped the docx, removed all instances of r:link="rIdXX" inside the document.xml with a regex search and the document started working again.
Hope this helps!