Because I have a tablet which drains faster, than it charges on the USB 3.0 port, I looked for some USB 3.0 hubs. Indeed, an external power supply helps here, but the charging ports are always separated from the data transfer ports. In my case I need both (data transfer and charging) and 900 mA are too few.

Now I found that there is USB Battery Charging standard for this. Do you need a BC 1.2 compliant device for this (in this case the tablet)? So if the device doesn't support it, I'm stuck with 900 mA? Or are there solutions, which would help me here? I don't want to ask for a device, rather I'd like to know if this is possible in general and under which circumstances this would be possible.

2 Answers 2



There are two different modes for USB BC 1.2 & BC 1.1 that supply over 900mA.

  • Dedicated charging port (DCP) - 5v@1.5A, without data. D- & D+ used to indicate the amount of power. This is why data can't be used with DCP.
  • Charging downstream port (CDP) - 5v@1.5A, D- & D+ used to handshake before the device starts taking 1.5A. After the handshake is complete data can be used over D- + D+.


I have only seen a few USB hub that note they support "Charging downstream port" (CDP). If hubs state they support BC 1.2 this mostly means they just support the DCP (no data) mode.


USB-C supports at least 5v@1.5A = 7.5Watts but in most cases you will get 5v@3A = 15Watts from a port on a desktop, notebook, or hub. USB-C can go up to 20v@5A = 100Watts via the USB-PD standard.

USB-PD Reference


Actually this is quite possible, if you are comfortable with a soldering iron (or can find a cable as decribed below somwhere) - the point is, that the power and the data lines in USB 3.0 can come from seperate sources without one of the bus devices know about it.

Take a look at the wikipedia page for USB 3.0 for a table - power is provided to the bus via the VBus line. You can now create a cable, where the VBus coming from the host is terminated to ground (GND/Drain) via a 1KOhm resistor and the VBus line going to the device (the tablet) is fed from a charger capable of providing more than 900mA.

I have made and used such cables quite often to cater to host/device combinations where the current needed by the device was higher than the current provided by the host (i.e.: Slim notebooks and high-capacity spinning harddrives - the disks would fall off the bus under heaviy load, and a multimeter showed this being due to power starvation)

  • Do you have a name how this type of cable is called? I searched for Y/splitter cable, but didn't found the right one.
    – testing
    Sep 11, 2017 at 17:15
  • You might remeber similar cables from USB 2.0 times with two plugs for the host and one for the device - ment to accumulate the power of two USB ports for one device - they were called Y-Cables. I have not yet found the USB 3.0 version readymade - else I wouldn't touch the soldering iron myself. Sep 11, 2017 at 22:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.