When should I backup my primary OpenPGP key?
I recently generated an OpenPGP key using the following setup (output of
pub rsa4096/KEYIDSC 2017-10-19 [SC] uid [ultimate] My Name <[email protected]> sub rsa4096/KEYIDE 2017-10-19 [E] sub rsa4096/KEYIDS 2017-10-19 [S]
And here is the output of
sec# rsa4096/KEYIDSC 2017-10-19 [SC] uid [ultimate] My Name <[email protected]> ssb rsa4096/KEYIDE 2017-10-19 [E] ssb rsa4096/KEYIDS 2017-10-19 [S]
To sum it up, I store a backup of my primary key offline (
sec#) and use the subkeys for signing and encrypting.
Now, suppose I want to add an user ID for (with
adduid), I'll import my backup private key and edit it. My questions are now:
- Should I do a new backup of my private key using the export command?
- Do I need to edit the subkeys too? Or did they automatically take into account the addition of the new UID?
- Assuming the subkeys are modified during the process, should I export them to my other computers, or will the old ones continue to do the job?
- I currently didn't upload my key to a keyserver, should I do it? Would it automatically solve the bother of exporting the subkeys again as mentionned in the previous question (if such issues exist)?
- What other commands/actions, besides
adduid, will require a new backup of my keys?
Please feel free to ask for precisions below, I'll try my best to answer them, but take into account I'm relatively new to OpenPGP.