I'm running the latest Ubuntu on Oracle VirtualBox. When I keep the window at default small size, it runs almost as smoothly as the Windows 10 host. However, when I maximize the window, the lag immediately becomes unbearable. I have 4K monitor, so could the big resolution affect performance so much?
Here are specs of my PC
- Asus X370-PRO Motherboard
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8 cores @ 3,75 Ghz
- GeForce GTX 1060 OC 6 GB GDDR5
- 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill DDR4 2666MHz
I have enabled the processor virtualization mode in BIOS settings, and here are the settings I have assigned to the virtual machine
- 4096 MB of Base Memory
- Enable I/O APIC
- 8 processors with 100% execution cap
- Enable PAE/NX
- Enable AMD-V
- 128 MB of Video Memory (Max allowed by the VirtualBox UI)
- Enable 3D Acceleration
I'm especially concerned about the maximum of 128 MB V-RAM allowed, regarding my GPU has 6 GB of memory. I'm sure with this stack the VM should run smoothly even at full screen 4K doing some heavy rendering, so something is obviously wrong. Have I misconfigured the VM or is the VirtualBox itself not supporting 4K well?