On my Windows 10 laptop from the browser (Chrome, Firefox, Waterfox, Edge) trying to access internet sites reports that it can't connect after a while, but ping works. Accessing local servers is fine. Accessing sites through an explicit local proxy in Waterfox also works.
After a reboot the browsers work for a bit, but then fail.
putty telnet seems to work fine.
I've already tried steps from:
netsh winsock reset catalog netsh int ip reset reset.log netsh advfirewall reset ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns route /f
I've done a wireshark and it shows that TCP connections are getting reset (RST packets from the machine as far as I can tell).
The machine has Sophos Anti-virus installed. MS Office also, but not much else.
EDIT: I have now tried:
- Disabled the firewall - the problem still occurs.
- Tried Opera browser as well
- Tried wget from powershell - also reports the connection being reset, at the same time that the browsers are not working
- Tried Privoxy - also not working when browsers direct aren't working.
- Removed Sophos entirely in case that was causing the problem.
- Done a malware scan with Sophos Virus Removal Tool, which found nothing.
- Updated the wireless driver for the built-in wireless adapter.
- Tried a USB wireless driver.
- Tried a wired connection, which seemed to work, but maybe we didn't leave it long enough.
- Flushing the caches of Chrome, which appeared to work for a while.
Any ideas for how to get browsing working reliably?