I have a Macbook Pro running Sierra 10.12.6 on a home wireless connection. I also have a Windows 7 SP1 PC connected to the wireless router. Unfortunately, both Microsoft Remote Desktop and Microsoft Remote Desktop 8.0 fail to make a successful remote desktop connection following the Microsoft Get started with Remote Desktop on Mac instructions. I get the following error:
We couldn't connect to the remote PC. make sure the PC is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled.
How can I make a remote desktop connection to a Windows 7 SP1 machine from a Mac Sierra 10.12.6 laptop?
These are the steps I have taken:
- run ipconfig to get the ipv4 address
- set PC Name to the ipv4 address
disable Norton Smart Firewall and Auto-protect
- Configured Control Panel -> System -> Allow remote access
- Downloaded-installed the protocol 8 update
- Set the group policy to enable protocol 8