My VE633E SATA-USB adapter has one SATA light and one other IDE light.
They blink if the computer accesses the drive, but not if the drive sends data (e.g. C1/C2 scans) to PCs.
But they are close to meaningless, because SATA also sometimes shines on UltraATA usage. Sometimes it blinks parallel to IDE, sometimes opposite.
But when using the SATA side with a TS-H653B optical drive, this happens on all of multiple tested computers:
- Both SATA and IDE light on VE633E go on. SATA blinks for a few seconds.
- PC reads data for a few seconds.
- SATA light goes off, IDE stays on.
- PC stops reading data, drive tray can only be opened via eject button on drive itself, PC stuck on reading request forever.
- VE633E pulled from drive: still stuck on reading request.
- USB cable to adapter pulled, PC unfreezes.
- USB cable and SATA adapter reconnected, no response by PC.
- External power to SATA adapter disabled and re-enabled; SATA adapter resueable.
The same effect also happens to other drives, especially SATA drives, but relatively rarely. E.g. GDR-H20N for DVD+RW after reading around 750MB and DVD-ROM somewhere between 1.3GB to 1.9GB.What is a technical explaination?
The problem is somewhere inside the VE633E