I came across a company in the UK (I was just a consumer) whereby they were handling sensitive information in an insecure way. Who would be the best people to notify about problems with security?

  • Is the website providing any "contact us" page ? Feb 19, 2018 at 11:09
  • 3
    Your question might be better suited for security.stackexchange.com
    – Josef
    Feb 19, 2018 at 11:16
  • Personally, I think this could live in superuser as it is more to do with the use of software rather than a security professional question.
    – atreeon
    Feb 21, 2018 at 14:05

1 Answer 1


Your first port of call should be to notify the company themselves - they may not realise and it may be a genuine mistake. This would give them the opportunity to rectify the problem, which is the best outcome.

If they have no contact information on their website and they are a limited company, you can try to find their details from Companies House, though it will likely only provide postal address information.

If you still have concerns you could try contacting the Information Commissioner's Office which handles failures to comply with Data Protection legislation.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .