1. What's the term for 'windows' like the following? Anything more technical than 'window'?

  2. Please see the titled question. Some examples of such windows: How do I remove and forestall all these 'SyncMaster's?, 1st window in How to manually type (or copy & paste) the file location, instead of accessing it by clicking?, Why does my microphone's volume still automatically decrease?


The type of window you are referring to is a Modal window. Here and here are more info on that. To expand I will quote Matt from the UX stack site.

A modal dialog is a window that forces the user to interact with it before they can go back to using the parent application. A great example of this would be a prompt for saving, or the "open file" dialog.

Generally if you want to maximize a window that does not have a button for it, you can try Windows Key + Up. If the window itself can actually be maximized, it will be then.

  • 1
    There's also software available that can force the shape of any window regardless if it can be resized or not. – LPChip Feb 22 '18 at 7:38
  • @LPChip Please elaborate? – Greek - Area 51 Proposal May 13 '18 at 22:26
  • I use ActualTools Window Manager (not free) and it can do this. I'm pretty sure there are other tools available that allow you to alter the size of a window based on rules you program into the settings of the application. – LPChip May 14 '18 at 6:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.