Are there any applications equivalent to Firbug to work on Google Chrome?

6 Answers 6


Ctrl-Shift-J will display the built in JavaScript console.

Plugins are coming soon



  • 3
    You shouldn't accept an answer just because it's first. You should accept it because it is the best answer to your question.
    – Tyler
    Jan 5, 2010 at 20:32
  • @MatrixFrog - true dat .. but his answer (IMO) is still the best. The built in Developer Tools are equivalent to FireBug's tools -- for most general things. Definitely a good start.
    – Pure.Krome
    Jul 23, 2010 at 1:18
  • The better answer is CTRL+SHIFT+I instead of CTRL+SHIFT+J. The J takes one to javascript console, while the I takes one to the HTML part. But CTRL+SHIFT+I has a tab for Console as well.
    – Volomike
    Jan 29, 2011 at 5:13

You can embed Firebug Lite into your web pages to get Firebug features in non-FF browsers.


Chrome has it's own DOM-explorer built in I believe.

  • 1
    Right-click on the document and select "Inspect element". Jul 15, 2009 at 12:51

If don't like the Chrome's console you may use Firebug Lite bookmarklet : http://getfirebug.com/lite.html


Firebug Lite now exists as a native Chrome extension.

It has some limitations, but I much prefer it to the bookmarklet and hopefully the missing functionality will come in time.

Now we just need the plugins as well :D


There is an inspector built into WebKit (and thus Chrome) already, which does many of the same things as Firebug on Firefox. Find it under the Page menu, Developer, "JavaScript Console", or right-click anything on a page and select "Inspect element" to get to that element in the inspector.

The "Resources" tab can show you a view similar to the "Network" view in Firebug.

inspector screenshot

  • Sounds nice, it just works on the markup level (i.e. I can select an item on the inspector window, and it will be highlighted on the page, but not vice-versa).
    – Galilyou
    Jul 15, 2009 at 12:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .