I'm trying to move/copy files from an external HD to the Shared user folder. (I'm running Mac Os x 10.11.6 El Capitan) Due to the fact that the Shared folder isn't really shared (https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/5689/permissions-for-new-files-in-shared-directory/7255#7255) I have been using an external HD with the setting 'Ignore file permissions on this volume' ticked to share files between users. But now I want to improve my backup plan. I need to copy all the files back to the Shared folder, so I can use the HD as a backup disk. I'm using rsync.
rsync -aEOzv --verbose --no-perms --no-owner --no-group --exclude="**/.*" /EXTHD/ /Users/Shared/
But I get a this error.
rsync: rename "/Users/Shared/.<filename.jpg.XdVKAr" -> "filename.jpg": Permission denied (13) rsync: rename "/Users/Shared/somefolder/.filename.JPG.Tp6e0Q" -> "somefolder/filename.JPG": Permission denied (13) [...] rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-47/rsync/main.c(992) [sender=2.6.9]
I guess the last line indicates there are to many errors. I have found that the files which cause the error to be raised have been modified on the eHD since I copied them a while ago to the eHD. Because I'm not sure the eHD has been used for all the files to share I want to sync the files from the eHD to the Shared folder so no files will be lost or duplicated. I would prefer to usr rsync to get familiar with it, because I want to use rsync to make backups of the Shared folder later on.
My question is what do I need to do to get rsync to work properly? I think the preferred behaviour would be to delete the files from the source that have been properly copied and just skip the ones which have problems. My guess is there won't be a lot of those so I can do them manually later on. On the other hand deleting files from the source would defeat the use of rsync. Maybe I need something else. What I mostly need is a way to at least have a list of files that cause errors.
Some background remarks:
- I don't want to change ownership permissions on the Shared folder as this post suggests (https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/23606/cant-copy-folder-with-files-from-external-hard-drive-because-of-permissions).
- Settings on the Shared folder are: read and write for system, wheel and everyone.
- Settings on the eHD are: read and write for administator, staff and everyone, and 'ignore files permissions ...' is set.
- I'm running the rsync command with automator from an administrator account.
- I'm running rsync 2.6.9 protocol version 29. I could upgrade rsync, but want to solve one problem at the time.