Was wondering if this was a fiber internet port or do I need to buy a converter so I can use fiber internet ?enter image description here

[![enter image description here][1]][1]

[1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/8ul2p.jpgenter image description hereenter image description here

closed as unclear what you're asking by Twisty Impersonator, JakeGould, DavidPostill Mar 21 '18 at 9:15

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Uh... that looks like a phone jack. – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Mar 21 '18 at 1:57
  • 3
    And the wire coming down off it is almost certainly phone cable. – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Mar 21 '18 at 2:13
  • Perhaps you should move the bed so you can get a proper close up shot... – Michael Frank Mar 21 '18 at 2:33
  • 1
    After you move the bed, crop your pictures, pretty pretty please – Ramhound Mar 21 '18 at 2:54
  • At this point I think everyone said it's a phone back or Ethernet port so no fiber – John doe Mar 21 '18 at 3:13

As far as the image quality allows to guess, this looks like some registered jack. It seems smaller than RJ45 (Ethernet), so it's probably some telephone outlet. Since all RJxx are for copper wires, this isn't a fiber internet outlet, most certainly.

Here's a telephone wall jack:

enter image description here

Fiber optic cable wall jacks / outlets (wall "plates" as these guys call them?) could look something like this:

enter image description here

but also could just come as a cable with a plug at its end:

like this

Edit: As @Xen2050 kindly pointed out, there are fiber wall outlets. (Thanks!)

  • @Johndoe First, there is no picture here. Second, if you posted the original question just post the picture in there. In general, that looks like a phone jack. Nothing more and nothing less. – JakeGould Mar 21 '18 at 2:11
  • This one is even worse, sorry. Make sure to hold your camera calm when pressing the shutter button, or use the flash light / set up better lighting conditions. – LukeLR Mar 21 '18 at 2:12
  • 1
    +1. FYI they do make fiber wall jacks ("plates" as these guys call them?). I'm just guessing but being glass, fiber seems like it would be even less flexible than copper, so dangling a wire out of the wall doesn't seem very reliable – Xen2050 Mar 21 '18 at 2:37
  • 1
    I wasn't sure either, but thought they must, so searched. I might as well edit the link & image into your answer instead of leaving in comments (and I can copy & paste the formatting slightly easier & delete these comments later too), but edit/delete if you prefer – Xen2050 Mar 21 '18 at 2:41
  • 1
    Yeah after everyone answers here I could see it's definitely not a fiber outlet since it's like one hole and the fiber seems to have 2 cables and it def doesnt look the same in terms of outlet look. I assume fiber outlets aren't built into houses only ethernet – John doe Mar 21 '18 at 2:54

Based on your picture that looks like a standard registered jack. As for which one, its hard to say from the picture. Regardless, it is not a fiber connection.

Households do not have fiber connections wired throughout the house. Internet service providers that provide fiber to your home, like Verizon FiOS, bring the fiber connection to a junction box on, or in, your house. Similar to the following image:

enter image description here

The fiber connection stops there and then goes to your modem/router, typically via your home's cable TV wiring, called coaxial wiring. Your PC, laptops, etc, connect to this device by ethernet or WiFi.

That jack is most likely just a simple RJ-11 phone jack for a telephone.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.