I setup a secure samba server on CentOS 7. I use this for general back up and resource sharing. I have noticed that transfer speeds over WiFi using ES File Explorer on my Android phone is incredibly slow, never going higher than 66Kbps.
- Transferring files to/from the server using Ethernet runs at 10MBps, so pulling files from the server using a laptop connected to the home router runs at a normal 100Mbps.
- Using my phone to download content from the internet is fast; I can stream YouTube in HD and download 20MB files fairly quickly.
- Using my phone to download content shared by my laptop running Windows 10 runs at normal WiFi speeds, defined by 802.11b/g/n(this AP prefers 802.11n)
This question is floating around the internet, but I haven't seen any answer that can provide clarity on the situation or a solution to the problem. To provide more context to the question and situation, here are a few extra nibbles of information that may be important:
- https://www.tecmint.com/install-samba4-on-centos-7-for-file-sharing-on-windows/ -- The resource I used to create the samba server
- ntfs3g -- the software I used to mount my NTFS HDD on Centos7
- DLink DSL-2750U -- the home router I use as an access point
- Huawei Y560 -- the phone I use
- ES File Explorer 126.96.36.199.5 -- the version of ES File Explorer I use