I've bought a new hard drive and want to move all my data to it. I had no problem with moving all files on non-system partition. But I don't know how to move system partiton.

Now I have 3 partitions on the new disk, fist two was created by Windows installation CD (I tried to move system using internal tools, but it didn't work for me), third is filled with my successfully transferred data from old disk.

And there are two partitions on the old disk: the first one is system (Windows 7) and the second one is my old main storage, that I already moved to the new hard drive and now it is empty.

How can I change the placement of Windows 7 with minimal difficulties and losses, so I could work on the new hard drive just as I did it on the old one?


You need a disk cloning solution. If you don't mind paying a few $$ for some very good software that you'll probably use after this, get Acronis True Image. If you want something free, try Macrium Reflect or Clonezilla.

  • These programs can allow a new system partition be bigger? – Simon Perepelitsa Apr 18 '10 at 16:12
  • Yes, they'll grow your partition. Acronis does this the best. – churnd Apr 19 '10 at 11:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.