I recently made a 10.5GB file of all zeroes, and started zipping and duplicating it, similar to a zip bomb. The compression per-layer was:
- 1st layer (the 10.5GB file): very high compression (about 35MB)
- 2nd layer (64 zipped raw files): very high compression (about 6MB)
- 3rd layer (64 zipped 2nd layer files): very high compression (about 5MB)
- 4th layer (64 zipped 3rd layer files): moderate compression (about 105MB)
- 5th layer (64 zipped 4th layer files): Unknown error
This was from using Linux's zip program.
Is there a limit to the compression of .zip? From attempting to create the 5th layer, it seems like there is one.