Stack Exchange Network
Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
Visit Stack Exchange
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It only takes a minute to sign up.
Sign up to join this community
Anybody can ask a question
The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
I would like
.txt files to open with Notepad++ by default in Windows 10. I have found the options to change file associations but there is no option to specify custom programs. Here's a screen shot:
How can I make Notepad++ default program for
asked May 20, 2018 at 10:24
2,42655 gold badges1616 silver badges2020 bronze badges
Follow the below steps
- Right click any .txt file and click
Open With > > Choose another app
- In the opened window click
- Scroll to bottom and click
Look for anther app on this PC
- Navigate to install location of Notepad++. Default is
- And select "Notepad++.exe"
answered May 20, 2018 at 10:42
64911 gold badge66 silver badges1111 bronze badges
How can I make notepad++ default program for .txt files?
Run Notepad++ as an Adminstrator
Menu > Settings to open the "Preferences" dialog
answered May 20, 2018 at 10:36
152k7777 gold badges347347 silver badges390390 bronze badges
With Windows 10 (Oct 2018) this worked for me:
- Open Notepad++ as an administrator and then follow the steps posted by DavidPostill above
- Go through the normal Windows process of right click "Open With >" > "Choose another app" and click the "Always use this app to open .txt file" box.
answered Oct 18, 2018 at 15:30
25133 silver badges22 bronze badges
This took me a minute, but this should help.
- Find a .txt file
- Right click it
- Select "Open with..." --> "Choose another app"
- Scroll down and select "More Apps" on the popup
- Select "Look for another app on this PC..."
- Find and select notepad++.exe
answered May 20, 2018 at 10:34
11144 bronze badges
Okay, here is a work around:
- Create a dummy file with the extension you wish to default to your program. The file can be empty.
- Right click on the dummy file and select Properties.
- On the General tab there is a section that states:
Type of file:
Opens with and a button that says .
- How do you want to open files from now on? Choose .
- Scroll to the bottom and select
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++ and select and select
- Close Properties and your done!
Credits to Kent Lasley from : https://notepad-plus-plus.org/community/topic/13051/set-notepad-as-default-app-in-windows-10
answered Oct 18, 2018 at 8:35
setup.exeand was not just extracted from .zip archive which is a.k.a. "portable installation" ? You can associate file type only to the applications installed using setup.exe